Recreational Marijuana is Legal in Montana: What Does That Mean?

Ganja Goddess


Whoever you are, whether you're an existing medical marijuana patient in Montana or you haven't smoked a joint since your days following the Grateful Dead, you're bound to have questions about the legalization of recreational marijuana in our state. The fine folks at Ganja Goddess were kind enough to partner with us to help clarify this new world and to advocate for the sensible use of marijuana among responsible adults in Montana. 

Ganja Goddess


The basics:

  • Adults 21 or older are allowed to carry and/or purchase one ounce or equivalent in cannabis products beginning January 1st, 2022

  • All cannabis products must be child-resistant OR transported in a child-resistant bag.


Ganja Goddess


How do you determine which dispensary is medical, recreational or have a license for both? 

Each dispensary is required to have signage clearly posted notifying the public of who can purchase at their specific location. The CCD (cannabis control division) will also be updating their website to indicate which locations sell medical only and which sell both medical and recreational for adult use only.

Under adult recreational use what guidelines must I follow? 

Just like medical use, the same rules apply for recreational use. Marijuana consumption and possession remains prohibited in public, in certain other locations and is prohibited on all federal lands and waters. Recreational use of marijuana is prohibited in hospitals and other health care facilities. Furthermore, do not drive during or after medical or recreational use as you still will be held accountable by law enforcement. Remember, marijuana is federally illegal so be mindful as you navigate this new recreational world of cannabis use.

If I have a medical card and grow my own medicine marijuana, can I purchase it recreationally?

Yes, in addition to growing your own plants you are allowed up 1 ounce per day and up to 5 ounces per month.


Will there be a difference between recreational purchasing limits and medical purchasing limits? 

Yes, medical clients can petition their certified physician in order to purchase a higher limit. 

Examples of limits, packaging requirements and total milligrams of THC in certain products. 

Edible adult-use marijuana products may contain up to 10 mg of THC per serving, and up to 100 mg of THC in an entire package. In general, the total THC of marijuana flower may not exceed 35%. Topical products may contain no more than 6% THC and no more than 800 mg of THC per package. A marijuana product sold as a capsule, transdermal patch or suppository, may contain more than 100 mg of THC, and no more than 800 mg of THC in an entire package. Again, these limits do not apply to medical marijuana cardholders. 

Ganja Goddess child resistant bags
Our child-resistant bags

Will products be sold in safe, child resistant containers and packages?

Yes, all products that leave a medical or recreational dispensary are to be placed and taken in an exit bag that is child resistant. All items will also be labeled in accordance with state compliance standards. 

Do you recommend I get a medical card? 

With a doctor’s recommendation and an approved application through the state you get a medical card. The benefits of having a medical card are the limited taxations and the ability to petition to have a higher monthly limit.

Ganja Goddess


Will my information be shared with third parties?

Purchases are made with your driver’s license and recorded through a third-party tracking system that the state of Montana monitors. The system is called Metrc and tracks all cannabis grown from seed to sale. Many dispensaries also use third party point of sale systems to record and track customer sales, at Ganja Goddess we use Greenbits. This system allows us to offer a loyalty point system that gives our customer cash back on their purchases.

Will I still be able to buy my CBD products at a dispensary?

As dispensary owners with a full line of Ganja Goddess CBD products the unfortunate answer to this question is, no. We have spent the last 4 years formulating and making sure we offer the best and most effective CBD products to our customers. We find this new rule heartbreaking for many dispensary owners and our loyal customers. Medical and recreational dispensaries are not allowed to sell CBD products; however, those products can be sold by other businesses or can be purchased online. At Ganja Goddess, we hope this will change as we have many customers who will now have to purchase their CBD online instead of picking up locally. To sell CBD, Ganja Goddess, like many other dispensary owners will have to sell under an entirely different company or business. You can find our CBD products online under our new sister company that we have branded, GGMT CBD. 

Ganja Goddess


Can I travel through counties that did not approve the use of recreational marijuana? 

If you are traveling from one county to another and transporting any marijuana products you will need to check with the specific county on their rules and regulations regarding their specific laws and regulations.

Will there be a cannabis sales Tax? What will be the difference between recreational vs. medical?

Recreational marijuana will be taxed at 20% of retail sales. Medical marijuana will continue to be taxed at 4% of retail sales. Local jurisdictions may add an additional tax of up to 3%. For example, Ganja Goddess has five locations, Bozeman, Livingston, Butte, Helena, and Missoula and depending on which county you are shopping in there may be a 3% sales tax depending on what the people voted.


This information was provided by Ganja Goddess, a women-owned, Montana-made, family-operated company located throughout the Treasure State. Ganja Goddess has locations in Bozeman, Missoula, Livingston, Butte, and Helena. We look forward to seeing you in the New Year!

Leave a Comment Here

Your comment will not appear until we have reviewed and approved it.